Promoting the safe use of medicines through trusted communication for better health — Collaboration is our key
How we achieve our mission: BeMedWise, a program of the national nonprofit NeedyMeds, achieves its mission by providing vetted information on medication safety with a network of national and international partners.
Vision statement: Improved health outcomes through the adoption of responsible medication practices.
The BeMedWise Program at NeedyMeds seeks to build a broad-based network of national and international partners and stakeholders, including:
- Consumer, patient advocacy, and voluntary health agencies
- Organizations and state societies representing healthcare professionals and health educators; schools of pharmacy, medicine, nursing and allied professionals
- National and international for-profit companies including pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Health-related trade associations
- Local, state and federal government agencies
The BeMedWise Program is actively engaged with a wide variety of prestigious external organizations, including:
- Prescriptions for a Healthy America: Partnership for Advancing Medication Adherence
- Script Your Future National Medication Adherence Awareness Campaign
- The Acetaminophen Awareness Coalition – Know Your Dose Campaign
- The Medicine Abuse Project by the Partnership at DrugFree.org
- The National Coordinating Council on Medication Error Reporting and Prevention, (NCC MERP)
- The CDC PROTECT Initiative
- Protecting Access to Pain Relief Coalition (PAPR)
- Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies (ASOP)
Our activities and program development are guided by these common values:
- To represent a wide spectrum of organizations serving the public health and develop consumer health education programs and community resources, serving as a trusted source of information on issues such as healthcare provider-patient communication, medication adherence, medication risk and error reduction, and prescription drug abuse prevention;
- To empower consumers to be more informed about and active in decisions affecting their use of medicines with actional health tips and specific questions to address with healthcare providers;
- To be a catalyst, convener, collaborator and clearinghouse for the development of innovative, useful, and scientifically accurate information and educational resources about safe medicine use that is disseminated through engagement with healthcare professionals and a wide variety of public and media-driven activities and initiatives.
The BeMedWise Annual “Talk About Your Medicines Month” (TAYMM) is an opportunity to spotlight healthcare issues impacting communities far and wide. For the past 34 years, TAYMM has chosen topics ranging from Think Before You Drink to Communication is Key to stimulate conversations between patients and their healthcare providers. The goal of TAYMM is simply better health outcomes through education. Scroll through to learn more and see how you can help spread the word!